Public Lands Foundation Annual Meeting
September 20-23, 2022
DoubleTree by Hilton
Grand Junction, Colorado
Theme: Managing E-bike Use on Non-motorized Trails
Tuesday, September 20 Kokoppelli Room
8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Board of Directors Meeting
4:30 p.m. to 5:45 p.m. Executive Committee meets with BLM ELT & Director Stone-Manning
5:00 p.m. Social gathering at Tom & Maggie’s home.
Wednesday, September 21—Field Tour and Barbeque
8:30 a.m. Gather near the DoubleTree by Hilton entrance and be prepared to go to the vehicle you signed up to ride in. Depart the DoubleTree for the 18 Mile Road Stop.
9:15 a.m. Arrive at 18 Mile Road BLM OHV/Bicycling/Hiking area.
BLM will present information about the variety of uses in the area and the designation of various areas for certain uses. You will have an opportunity to test ride an E-bike. Water, restrooms and first aid will be available.
11:00 a.m. Depart 18 Mile Road for Canyon View Park and lunch.
11:30 a.m. Arrive Canyon View Park for lunch.
Box lunches you signed up for and water and soda pop will be available. Lunch will be at tables at the large pavilion. Restrooms are available.
1:00 p.m. Depart Canyon View Park.
1:30 p.m. Arrive Lunch Loop Trailhead.
BLM will describe the development, use, and popularity of this trail system, including how it got its name. Restrooms are available.
2:15 p.m. Depart Lunch Loop Trailhead
2:30 p.m. Arrive DoubleTree by Hilton
6:00 p.m. Barbeque. Located outside on the west side of the hotel on Peachtree Terrace. No host bar.
Zebulon Miracle, Executive Director, United Way of Mesa County and former Curator of Anthropology at the Museum of Western Colorado will describe some of the pre-history and history of Western Colorado and the Grand Valley where Grand Junction is located.
Thursday, September 22—General Meeting Kokopelli Room
8:30 a.m. Mary Jo Rugwell, PLF President
- About PLF
- Introduce PLF Executive Committee and Executive Director.
- Introduce Mike Ferguson to describe the Student Congress program.
9:10 a.m. Anna Stout, Mayor of Grand Junction (video presentation)
- Welcome to Grand Junction
9:20 a.m. Janeth Stancle, Central Mountain Regional Director for Senator John Hickenlooper
9:40 a.m. Tracy Stone-Manning, BLM Director
- Overview of BLM activities and priorities.
10:15 a.m. Break
10:45 a.m. Greg Larson, District Manager, BLM Upper Colorado River District
- Overview of programs and priorities, including the development and use of recreational trails on BLM-administered public lands.
11:00 a.m. Steve Jozefczyk, Deputy Director, Grand Junction Economic Partnership
- Significance of recreational trails from the standpoint of the local economy.
11:20 a.m. Kathy Hall, former Mesa County Commissioner, BLM Resource Advisory Council (RAC) member, and President of Club 20
- Reflections on BLM challenges and accomplishments and access to public lands from the perspective of a former county commissioner, RAC member, and Club 20 member.
12:00 p.m. Luncheon at the hotel (no speaker) Grand Parlor
Thursday Afternoon, September 22—General Meeting (Continued)
1:30 p.m. Panel Discussion – Managing E-bike Use on Non-motorized Trails
- Don Simpson, PLF VP. Introduction to set the stage for and introduce the four panelists.
- Jack Placchi, Former BLM, CO Travel and Transportation Specialist. Explain the process for implementing the Secretarial Order to allow e-bikes on certain BLM trails by amending the OHV regulations and designating e-bike use on specific trails or systems.
- Scott Winans, Secretary, Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Trail Association (COPMOBA). Position of a local trail organization regarding the use of e-bikes on non-motorized multi-use trails.
- Craig Grother, Western Colorado Regional Director, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. Position of a public land use organization regarding trail development and use, generally.
- Greg Wolfgang, Grand Junction BLM Field Manager. Explanation of how e-bike use is locally authorized using examples in the Grand Junction Field Office including the public involvement and local manager decision requirements.
- Questions, Comments, and Discussion
3:30 p.m. Mary Jo Rugwell
- Closing remarks
4:00 p.m. Adjourn
4:15 p.m. Group Photo
6:00 p.m. Cash Bar & Silent Auction Begin
7:00 p.m. Banquet Grand Parlor
- Remembering BLM: Bob Moore
- Silent Auction and Raffle End
9:00 p.m. Adjourn
Friday, September 23 Kokopelli Room
8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Board of Directors Meeting