2021 Photo Contest
We’re holding a photo contest and inviting our members to submit their favorite photographs on the BLM public lands or other federal lands in the categories listed below.
The photo contest runs until June 15, 2021.
There will be a grand prize winner who receives a waiver of one-year of the PLF annual membership fee and a first place and second place winner for each of several categories for photo entries.
- Eligibility is limited to PLF members in good standing. Click here to join or renew your membership.
- Photos must be taken on the BLM-managed lands or other federal lands.
- Members may submit up to three color images. No black and white images, please.
- Cropped photos are acceptable.
- Minor adjustments including sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustment are acceptable. Digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered (e.g., “Photoshopped”) photos will not be accepted.
- Do not place a watermark, copyright symbol or signature on the image. Any photograph used by the PLF will include a photographer’s credit.
- Images are limited to jpg files only and filenames must include:
- photographer’s name (e.g., wildhorseRockSpringsHMAJohnDoe.jpg).
- A short description and location for each photograph are required for each image using the entry form.
- Objectionable or inappropriate content, as determined by the PLF, is ineligible for this contest and will be discarded.
- The PLF will not disclose any personal information regarding the photographer beyond the member’s name.
Images will be evaluated based on:
- Overall impact
The grand prize winner and winners in each category will be selected by a panel of volunteer judges. They are:
Bob is a Wilderness Program Specialist and renowned photographer at the Bureau of Land Management based in Sacramento, CA.
Michelle currently serves as Vice President Board of Directors for the Crossroads Film Society. Previously, she served as a Senior Public Affairs Specialist for the BLM for 34 years.
Don served as Communications Director at the BLM’s Idaho State Office and at the National Interagency Fire Center.
There are six photo entry categories for this contest.
- Plant or Animal
- Object or Structure
- Natural Resource
- Resource Use
PLF Use of Photos
Photos entered may be used by the PLF for purposes such as:
- Being featured in:
- The Monitor
- Our website
- PLF’s social media sites
- Publication in a PLF calendar
Direct general questions about the contest to Ray Brady at [email protected]. Direct technical questions, such as about file uploads, to George Stone at [email protected] or by phone at (703) 935-0916, Monday-Friday from 9-5 ET.