The PLF’s mission is to advocate and work for the retention of America’s Public Lands in public hands, professionally and sustainably managed for responsible common use and enjoyment.
Our Goals are to…
- Keep the public lands in public ownership and open to responsible use by the public.
- Support multiple use management of these lands under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act.
- Inform the BLM of concerns the PLF may have on the way that BLM lands are being managed no matter what the issues may be, and to make recommendations to mitigate those concerns.
- Encourage professionalism by BLM employees and recognize achievements of professionals and stakeholders.
- Increase the public’s understanding of, and support for, the proper management of the public lands.
- Encourage contact, communication and coordination among users of BLM-managed lands and interest groups.
- Facilitate contact and communication among BLM retirees.
- Retain records of BLM’s history and its employees.
- Works closely with the BLM on issues and opportunities.
- Publishes our quarterly newsletter, the Public Lands Monitor and maintains a presence on social media to keep members and the public informed on newsworthy matters and PLF activities.
- Holds its annual conference in September in a Western State. Registration is open to the public.
- Supports and participates in National Public Lands Day events held annually in September.
- Holds a biennial Student Congress on Public Policy for Land Management.
- Awards scholarships to deserving college students.
- Partners with the BLM in “The Past and the Future Pathways Project”
- Communicates our positions and recommendations on public lands issues through meetings, correspondence, and position statements.
- Collaborates with partnering organizations on policy matters and issues.
- Recognizes outstanding BLM employees, organizations and PLF member achievements through awards.
- Publishes a register of BLM retirees.
- Maintains the PLF archives, a collection of BLM and personally donated memorabilia.
- Honors BLM employees who have passed away on our Memorial Wall.
- Conducts and participates periodically in special events.